Friday 17 October 2008

Silverlight Next Version at PDC

So now that Silverlight 2 is shipped, I am now wondering what the shape of the next version of Silverlight will be like.

This post is completely conjecture, guessing and some information posted in blogs.

New Silverlight Bits at PDC

I know people must think I am mad but I like new stuff. The good news is that I believe we are getting a new preview of some new Silverlight stuff at PDC, the Silverlight team have been busy beavering at new stuff. How do I know this, well it all comes from Delay’s blog

So if we are getting new bits at the PDC what would I guess we will see? Well the new bits will be new features independent of controls (since the controls team is split off).

So I would think we will see the following:

  • H.264 Support (announced in other postings)

What I think we will also see (my own opinion, no inside knowledge, no views of private builds)

  • Camera Support
  • Microphone Support
  • Support for any of the new stuff being announced at PDC (Cloud, Mesh)

I kind of think we might see some early experimental 3D controls. may’be even Hardware Acceleration support (really I am just guessing)

I certainly think it will be exciting but to be honest we could see anything? I’m looking forward to it

New Silverlight Controls at PDC

So we now know that controls for Silverlight are now outside of the Silverlight team and is now done by a Silverlight Controls team who will be publishing new controls as they go along on CodePlex. This team is run by Shawn Burke , and in his blog he states that there will be a preview at the PDC. For more info on this team, look at this blog posting

Basically over the coming months we can expect more WPF controls to appear in Silverlight space, as well as all new Silverlight controls.

So what can we expect from controls:

  • DockPanel
  • WrapPanel
  • ViewBox
  • Label
  • HeaderedContentControl
  • Expander
  • TreeView
  • NumericUpDown
  • AutoComplete
  • Accordion
  • Again this list comes from Shawn’s blog.

    Silverlight for Mobile

    Lets not forget we should get a preview of Silverlight 2 on mobile devices (this info is from http://blogs.msdn.com/giorgio/archive/2008/09/19/pdc-2008-and-silverlight-for-mobile.aspx)

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Basicly I suggest all Asp.Ajax Tools (http://www.asp.net/ajax/ajaxcontroltoolkit/samples/) are good canidates for new Controls

    Anonymous said...

    It's important to note that Delay (David Anson) is actually on Shawn Burke's team, so what he has been working on feverishly for the last few months are in fact the controls Shawn talks about in his blog :)