Thursday 26 March 2009

Silverlight: GPU reverts to CPU Screencast

In my previous screencast, i showed you the benefits of GPU acceleration in Silverlight 3 and how to make use of it, as well of an instance where enabling GPU acceleration will harm performance.

In this screencast, I will show you that in certain scenarios even though you have enabled GPU acceleration, Silverlight will revert to the CPU.  Specifically we cover RenderTransforms, Pixel Shader Effects and 3D Perspective (Plane Projections).  Video is below.

 

5 comments:

Art said...

Thanks again Chris.
I like your series of insightful videos; they are helpful.
Short sweet and to the point.

chrishayuk said...

Thanks Art,

I appreciate the feedback, it's nice to know that it's useful to others.

I don't really want the videos in general going beyond 10 minutes. If they do, I will try and split them up into multiple videos.

It means if you are only interested in a specific thing, then you have a chance to see that specific bit, and then get on with the rest of your development

Unknown said...

Hi,

first of all, your posts are really cool!
I saw that you displayed the CPU usage, however I was wondering what kind of CPU and GPU does your computer have?

Also, If you don't mind, I would like to know which program were you using for capturing the screen? I like the zoom in and zoom out features.

Best of luck, and thanks in advance for your help

chrishayuk said...

thanks for the kind feedback :)

I use a Sony Vaio VGN-AR71ZU Laptop.

Dual Core T9300 2.5GHz, 4Gb Memory, 640Gb Disk (Raid 0, 2x320Gb), NVidia 8600M GT GPU

The software I use for screen recording is Camtasia Studio

Unknown said...

Hmm, even though a pixel shader seems to disable GPU acceleration, a rotatetransform does not.