Friday, 18 January 2008

Back from Southampton

I'm back from last nights Silverlight Session in Southampton.

I spent 2 full hours live coding the session. No Slides, Virtually No Cutting and Pasting. Just pure coding. And from what I can tell it went down a storm. I really enjoyed the event, much preferred the new format to the sessions I have done in the past. I also think everybody enjoyed seeing everything being coded live.

We really covered a lot in this session, and suprised that i managed to pack so much in. There were a couple of hitches (one of the things with live coding, no matter how much you prepare), and again I have a couple of lessons learned, but I am really really pleased with this session.

I think it safe to say, I can put my disastrous DDD sessions behind me. I have now done 3 main sessions since then, and they have all went really well. One of them in is currently in the NxtGenUG all time top 10.

I have only been speaking since september, and every session is a learning experience, and I think I am improving each time.

Just to say a big thanks to Rich and John at Southampton for supporting a relatively new speaker, and well done guys, what a great group you guys have (very impressed).

Also a big thanks to Guy Smith-Ferrier for putting me forward to John and Rich to do a session in Southampton. Guy really is one of those superb blokes who really wants to develop UK speakers. After DDD i really felt as if I let folks down (the feedback wasn't that bad, but i knew i could do much better), and I really wanted to get this one right.

Anyways enough waffle.

Thanks Southampton for coming to the session, and the code will be up later today

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheers for coming so far to see us Chris! Really enjoyed the talk. It gave a very useful insight into the current and near future state of Silverlight with just the right level of breadth and depth.

Guy Smith-Ferrier said...

The outcome was never in any doubt. Glad it went well, Chris.